Owens Martin was born in 1812 in Kentucky, the son of Thomas Martin and Susannah Graves. By 1833, he had settled in Owen County, Indiana, where he lived the remainder of his life, working as a farmer. In 1837, he married Margaret Jane Ross in nearby Putnam County. She was born in Bath County, Kentucky, in 1819, the daughter of Joseph B. Ross and Hannah Piercy. Owens died in 1892 in Owen County, and Margaret passed away in 1909.
- Descendants of Owens Harrison Martin and Margaret Jane Ross
- Ancestors of Owens Harrison Martin – including Graves and Holloway
- Ancestors of Margaret Jane Ross – including Piercy, McDowell, and Baird
- Finding Revolutionary AncestorsIt being Fourth of July weekend, thoughts naturally turn to 1776 and the Revolutionary War. What were our North American ancestors doing at that time? How many were directly involved? Even if proving descent from a Revolutionary War ancestor is not your goal, it is still fascinating to try to discover more about what theseContinue reading “Finding Revolutionary Ancestors”
- Counties of Clay and Owen, Indiana, by Charles Blanchard, 1884 – from Google Books
- Biographical and Historical Record of Putnam County, Indiana, 1887 – from HathiTrust
- Weik’s History of Putnam County, Indiana, by Jesse W. Weik, 1910 – from Internet Archive
I can’t possibly share all of my family photographs here. Instead, I’ve chosen a select few favorites, mainly group photos. More pictures, particularly of individuals, can be found through my Thal-Gephart Family Tree accessible through my Ancestry profile. I am always looking for more pictures. If you have any to share, please contact me.
Margaret Ross “Grandma” Martin, age 86, ca. 1905
Photo by Knights Studio, Cloverdale, Indiana.
Hannah Martin Hughes, ca. 1880