Jacob Long, son of Isaac Long and Elizabeth Zug, was born in 1784 in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. He married Catherine Friedly, daughter of John and Susana Friedly, in Washington County, Maryland in 1809. By 1845, they had settled in Mount Morris, Ogle County, Illinois. Jacob was farmer and an Elder in the German Baptist Brethren Church. He died in 1867 and Catherine passed away in 1879.
- Descendants of Jacob Long and Catherine Friedly
- Ancestors of Jacob Long – including Zug, Zaug and Bachman
- Ancestors of Catherine Friedly – including Friedly and Levan
- Daniel LeVan, immigrant ancestor – from Almanac of Immigrant Ancestors, by Betsy Thal Gephart, 2013
- Ulrich Zug, immigrant ancestor – from Almanac of Immigrant Ancestors, by Betsy Thal Gephart, 2013
- Andrew William Friedly, immigrant ancestor – from Almanac of Immigrant Ancestors, by Betsy Thal Gephart, 2013
- Genealogical Record of the LeVan Family, by Warren Patten Coon, 1927 – from HathiTrust
- An American Organist in Paris: Letters of Marguerite I. Long, 1958-1960, edited by Betsy Thal Gephart
- The Blizzards of 1912We’re digging out from a heavy snowstorm in Indiana this week, and I’m so thankful that I can enjoy the comforts of home and enjoy the beauty of the snow outside. But I’m reminded of a letter in my collectionContinue reading “The Blizzards of 1912”
- School Christmas Play, 1914I was looking for a holiday story to share, and thought I’d share one from my grandfather’s childhood at Jewell Hill School, outside of Quinter, Kansas. Ten years ago, I was working on a “fictionalized” biography of my grandfather, ChesterContinue reading “School Christmas Play, 1914”
- Ogle County Historical Society
- The History of Ogle County, Illinois, by H.F. Kett & Co., 1878 – from Google Books
- The Biographical Record of Ogle County, Illinois, by S.J. Clarke, 1899 – from Google Books
I can’t possibly share all of my family photographs here. Instead, I’ve chosen a select few favorites, mainly group photos. More pictures, particularly of individuals, can be found through my Thal-Gephart Family Tree accessible through my Ancestry profile. I am always looking for more pictures. If you have any to share, please contact me.
Children of Sam and Catherine Stover Long, ca. 1918, Quinter, Kansas
L to R: Albertus Long, Urilla Hicks Long, Savilla Long Wolf, Henry Wolf, Mabel Nichols Long, Samuel Stover Long, Jemima Miller Long, Jacob H. Long.
Watermelon Party Outside home of Jacob H. Long, Quinter, Kansas, ca. 1906. Identifications by Rose Long Hurd. Can you identify any more?
Back row (L to R): Verna Long, Verna Wolf, Otha Long, Alta Rachel Long
Third Row (L to R), ?, Ira Long, ?, Lana Long, Raymond Albert Long, Ezra Wolf
Front and center: Chester Long
Oxley family, ca. 1916
Back row (L to R): James Oxley, Beryl Oxley, Ardus Oxley, and Peryl Oxley
Front row (L to R): Emma Long Oxley, LaVetta Oxley, Joseph Oxley, Paul Oxley, and Ditha Valeda Oxley.
Jacob and Jemima Miller Long and their children, ca. 1915:
Standing (L to R): Wava Long, Ira Long, Allene Long (center), Verna Long, and Chester Long
Seated (L to R): Jemima Miller Long and Jacob H. Long.